I used Multilizer to translate my software written with Delphi/C++Builder. In the Multilizer user interface the translations are correct but when I start my localized application, some characters are shown as "?" (or as other meaningless characters). How can I fix this?
The problem is that applications written with Delphi/C++Builder depend on the operating system to show the characters correctly. E.g. if your operating system has English locale, it cannot show for example Cyrillic characters correctly but shows them as "?". When your software is run on a operating systems with the locale of your target language, the characters are shown correctly. You can test this by changing your operating system´s locale according to your translated language. As I mentioned, the VCL (used by Delphi and C++Builder) versions prior to version 2009 are not Unicode enabled so there is no switch to enable "Unicode-mode" for the components and big part of the software.
To keep my answer short, I summarize:
1) Leave the software as it is now (which requires that system locale is set correctly)
2) Or use Unicode-enabled controls in your app (E.g., TMS Unicode Component Pack, www.tmssoftware.com).
3) Or switch to Delphi2009/C++Builder2009 (or newer) that has Unicode-enabled VCL.